Why do we need to live in the moment and why is it so important?
The simple answer is, the NOW is all we have! The future doesn’t really exist, neither does the past. So why should we worry about it when it’s already happened or yet to happen?
The problem is, many of us are prone to this notion without realizing it – “I wonder what tonight’s football scores will be tonight…”, “I’m worried about my exam scores, what if i fail?”, “I can’t believe what happened earlier, i feel so stupid” and on and on it goes.
Is it no wonder why so many of us are depressed and angry?
The truth is, life doesn’t happen in the past or the future, but what happens in the present. Of course, this is easier said than done.
Here are 20 quick ways to get you started –
1) Focus on what needs to be done now – If you’re ever worrying about the future, then chances are you’re either procrastinating or holding off on what needs to be done. Focus on what you want in your future and take the necessary steps to make it happen in the present.
2) Accept the past and let go of it – The past is what was, not what is. Learn from it and let go of it, because it is what it is. A lesson to learn from.
3) Start a hobby and dedicate time on it on a daily basis – The best way you can ever spend time on yourself is by taking part in an activity. You will realize just how fast time flies by and will feel glad you did it.
4) Meditate – Your only course of action is to stay present with yourself. Focus on you, take care of yourself and the rest will flow naturally.
5) Lie in the dark in complete silence – Clear your mind and allow yourself to relax. Most problems often start on the way to and from work.
6) Learn to forgive by saying ‘sorry’ – Sometimes, bitterness stems from not allowing yourself to forgive. Acknowledge the past and allow for mistakes to happens from other people as nobody’s perfect.
7) Smile – Become active at it. you can never consistently be happy, but there’s always room for a smile.
8) Write down your thoughts on a piece of paper – Thinking can drive you mad after a while. The best way to let go of it all is by writing it down. Your mind will be clear and will feel energized to start anew.
9) Write a to-do list – No one has ever got anything done without a plan. You can quickly prevent future worries by writing down what you hope to get done.
10) Take action – The only way you’ll ever be certain of your future, is by getting things done and working towards it.
11) Learn to accept failure – Failure is all part of growth, it builds character and self-confidence. Learn to embrace it and realize that it’s all part of the process.
12) Enjoy the process of living – Life is all around us, stop and take notice of it from time to time.
13) Learn to take risks – If you don’t explore yourself, you will never know what you’re truly capable of.
14) Find ways to be happy – Happiness isn’t as difficult as you think it is. It’s as easy as giving yourself the permission to be.
15) Talk to strangers – Never forget that you’re not alone in this world. There are others like you out there, with the same hopes, worries and dreams.
16) Make people laugh – You’ll be surprised at how good it makes you feel by making others feel good about themselves. Life is meant to be lived and shared with others.
17) Read a good book – You’ll often wonder how fast the time goes after a few hours read through.
18) Go for long walks – Sometimes, the best thing you can ever do is to allow yourself some fresh air.
19) Travel – Take time to visit new places. Your eyes will experience and see new things and will begin to wonder what all your worries were about.
20) Give yourself the permission to make mistakes – Life is a journey, you will at times take wrong paths, go places you never wanted to go and see things you never wanted to see. But it’s the way it is for a reason. Keep moving forward with conviction, It’s the only way you can ever really go.